Singing Loudly: Laws of Man; Laws of Physics

Singing Loudly

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Laws of Man; Laws of Physics

A libertarian anti-seatbelt activist died in a car accident.

In a column written for the Daily Nebraskan in September, Derek attacked seat belt laws as intrusions on individual liberties and expensive to enforce.

"It is my choice what type of safety precautions I take," he wrote.

He did it the right way. He didn't become crippled and become a burden on the state. In all seriousness, he may have a decent point about seat belt laws, but I wouldn't protest them by not spending the few seconds it takes to buckle up.
-x-

5 Comments:

Confession: I don't wear seat belts. I find them restricting. I accept the fact that I am putting my life in danger every time I drive. I agree that it's my choice. I don't particularly want to die - I guess it's like Russian roulette. I'll take my chance. It might kill me, and I accept that.  

Posted by Stephanie

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 PM, January 11, 2005  

You write that like he had a choice in whether or not he was going to die from that accident. heh. 

Posted by Melissa

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:09 AM, January 12, 2005  

Perhaps not a choice but at least a chance. 

Posted by Curtis

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:32 AM, January 12, 2005  

I disagree. He had the chance to be paralized instead of dying whether or not he wore his seatbelt. 

Posted by Melissa

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 PM, January 12, 2005  

But in one case we know what did happen: he died. In the other case we can only guess that either he would have lived or he would have died, therefore, I say that he had a chance in that situation. The whatif is unknowable, so I don't see the utility in debating it. My point is simply that it's a sad irony. 

Posted by Curtis

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:26 PM, January 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com