Singing Loudly: Approach with Less Trepidation

Singing Loudly

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Approach with Less Trepidation

Will Baude says the following,

Like Mr. DeBow at Southern Appeal, I just learned about the plans for the new remake of All The King's Men. My prejudicial guess is that Anthony Hopkins will be a fabulous Judge Irwin and Mark Ruffalo a fabulous Adam Stanton, and that Jude Law and Kate Winslet will be good but not great as Jack Burden and Anne Stanton. I am very dubious of Sean Penn.

I must admit that I'm not a fan of Jude Law's acting. Mark Ruffalo is one of a handful of extremely talented actors who can make any role come alive. As far as Sean Penn, I don't think that Mr. Baude has any real reason to be dubious. I call his attention to exhibit 1: Before Night Falls as proof that Penn belongs in that same handful as Ruffalo. Being able to make your cameo one of the shining spots of a film is a very rare skill.

I also have some hope concerning the casting of All the King's Men because of the potential on screen chemistry. While Ruffalo is really the only reason I enjoyed Eternal Sunshine on a Spotless Mind, there was great chemistry between Ruffalo and Winslet in the bedroom scene.

I think this will could be a good remake.

UPDATE: Will Baude, in email, alerts me to the failing of my movie recollection. Of course, there was not on-screen chemistry between Ruffalo and Winslet in any movie. I was thinking of the scene between Ruffalo and Kirsten Dunst when they spent an evening together with Jim Carrey (Joel). I've changed my recommendation accordingly.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com