Singing Loudly: Don't mess with me in Texas

Singing Loudly

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Don't mess with me in Texas

Finals time is not the time to make a law student angry, as the Sedgwick County Appraisal Officer in Kansas learned this morning. I don't own a 1983 Chevy that has registered as a "non-highway" car, so I will not pay the taxes on it. I own a Nissan that is can drive on any roadway, and I live in Texas.

This wasn't the first time that I've received the bill for this other person's car. I even signed a written affidavit last year that they claimed would remedy the problem. Obviously, the problem still exists, so I call Kansas again to try to clear this up.

The lady who answered is more than willing to be friendly, but she is not helpful. "Ok, so you don't own this car?"

No.

"Do you know where the person who owns the car lives?"

Of course not.

"Hmm, well, I'll go ahead and take this address off your account so you won't get anymore of the tax bills."

Who is going to pay for the taxes? Won't this go to collections and eventually fuck up my credit because your office can't find the owner of the car and attaches it to me because we have the same name?

"Well, I don't know about that. It won't go to collections for a long time so it should be ok."

That is absolutely not ok. I don't want my credit hurt because your office has someone who isn't getting his taxes.

"I haven't seen it ever go to collections"

GRRR. Can I speak to a manager?

"I'm the manager"

I guess I'll pay his twelve bucks in taxes.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com