Singing Loudly: Free love on the free love highway

Singing Loudly

Monday, July 19, 2004

Free love on the free love highway

Damn, Amber has stirred up quite the passionate (ahem) discussion over at her blog. The topic is whether the libertarian women in DC are more passionate than their conservative counterparts.

It sprung from Will Baude posting this quote from Radley Balko,

Based on personal experience . . . . I can say without reservation that in D.C. at least, libertarian women are head and shoulders more attractive, sexier, smarter, and more passionate than politically-conscious women of other philosophical stripes
.
Of course, by passion, all of them are politely saying that libertarian women in DC are better at making the sweet love. Usually when I talk about passion it just means that I had a mean round of filling out crossword puzzles.

In my opinion it is Rickey from Three Years of Hell who makes the most sense. His point is simply this,

The idea that one's skill in the sack is somehow correlated with one's political orientation ridiculous, and crying out that "Not only are we right--we're better in bed, too" has a none-too-mature ring to it.

I happen to agree. Actually, a good majority of my friends who are libertarian are waiting on hitting that sack, at least with another person, until they are married.

My friends who happen to not be passionate while being libertarian are not in DC. One is at Berkeley while the other is somewhere in Kansas. Maybe that is part of the difference. As Will from Crescat says,

The implications of this comment-- whether that's causal, correlative, generalizable to other cities, complete nonsense, too much information-- I just don't have answers to. I just don't know.

I guess that I'm just not understanding what libertarian or DC or anything has to do with passion. I have met plenty of passionate conservatives and passionate liberals. I've also met just the opposite from both sides of the fence. For my friends, they choose to be libertarian because they feel it is the best political viewpoint for their religious beliefs.

In comments Spencer Short states the reasons he thinks the generalization might be true,

I don't think it's completely true that ideology & (ahem) passion are completely discrete. Free Love? Just Say No? They don't need to be all-encompassing to be telling.

Give me an ideology that doesn't try to legislate the bedroom AND isn't dampered by political correctness's wet blanket anyday.

While these are a major generalization there might be something to them. I just wanted to point out that are quite a few libertarians who are anti-passion before marriage and plenty of conservatives who enjoy fireplaces.

UPDATE: I really don't know what the fireplace comment at Jen's blog means, as that post seems to be a bunch of code too. It just makes me laugh.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com