Singing Loudly: Laziness and Critical analysis or What's wrong with American Thought

Singing Loudly

Saturday, July 17, 2004

Laziness and Critical analysis or What's wrong with American Thought

Spencer Short has a fascinating criticism of critics. His first target is the boring (in the hi! I want to really shock you kind of way) Dale Peck. I have to admit that I don't mind the way he writes. My problem with Peck is that I find him utterly insepid. Ultimately, I think that is what is wrong with American Criticism right now. There seems to be a laziness that comes across the lines of all criticism.

This is particularly telling in Spencer's disapproving nod towards Stephen Metcalf who reviewed Wilco's A Ghost Is Born in Slate. Instead of actually giving a decent review of the album he creates strawmen. It is intellectual laziness.

As Spencer says,

What do I think of Wilco? Well, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is a pretty album, one that I have loaded into my playlist & one that I listened to a great deal on release.

YHF is a great album for a variety of reasons. I think that most important is that when the album was created and released it really did capture the climate of America. It's easy to take albums out of their historical relevance, but I think that album, more than any other, hit my emotions at the time concerning 9/11. From my friends who have heard the album or own it they feel a similar sentiment. Even outside of that historical relevance the albums stands on its own as a collection of songs wondering what tomorrow will bring.

Here's hoping that tomorrow might bring a change in American criticism. It is rare that I find reviews that tell me something new, are relevant, and make me think about the work differently than I already did.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com