Singing Loudly: Grammar for the masters

Singing Loudly

Friday, May 07, 2004

Grammar for the masters

I will be the first to admit that my grammar could benefit from an overhaul, which might be why I'm drawn towards books on grammar. This morning I was reading the New York Times Book Review, and I noticed "Punctuation and It's Discontent: A British journalist explains how to use commas, dashes and, of course, apostrophes." It is a review written by Edmund Morris of Eats, Shoots, and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss.

Later today I will probably drop by a bookstore to see if they have a copy of this. In the review there are quite a few things I agree with,
she is often persuasive, as on the tendency of lazy writers to reticulate their sentences with dashes: "The dash is less formal than the semicolon, which makes it more attractive; it enhances conversational tone; and...it is capable of quite subtle effects. The main reason people use it, however, is that they know you can't use it wrongly -- which, for a punctuation marker is an uncommon virtue."
Bravo. In the book she analyzes how different writers have used punctuation, and she notes that some writers, such as Evelyn Waugh, use punctuation incorrectly to their benefit.
Evelyn Waugh cut commas to convey the clipped dispatch of upperclass speech: "You see I wasn't so much asking you to agree to anything as explaining what our side propose to do."
There are also many illustrations about how some writers (Beckett, Tom Wolfe, and James Joyce) break rules such as the comma splice, always ending sentences with periods, and not using exclamation points, respectively.

Typically I stick with fiction for my leisurely reading, but I am occasionally drawn away to the fun that can be had with a nonfiction book, especially when it analyzes how writers deal with conventions.
-x-
the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com