Singing Loudly: Old Art New Art

Singing Loudly

Monday, January 24, 2005

Old Art New Art

Saturday was an art filled day for me, as I decided to removed the handcuffs of law school and ventured into the city. I went with a friend to The Splendors of China's Forbidden City exhibit at the DMA.

It was quite enjoyable. As I've said before, I'm typically drawn towards modern and contemporary artwork. However, there was quite a bit about this exhibit that I liked.

It essentially centered around the artwork produced and collected during the Qianlong reign. Much of the work has never been to America before this exhibit, which will be shown in Chicago and Dallas. It has only been available in the Palace Museum in Beijing. My favorite items from the exhibit were some of the murals painted on silk, the desk set that showed all the neat writing instruments, and the jade sculptures.

Then we went around and saw some of our favorite items from the permanent collection of art. They have one of my favorite Kandinsky paintings in the world. They also have some really fun Winston Churchill drawings (his paintings are pretty rotten).

If you're in the Chicago or Dallas area when the exhibit shows (actually, it might have gone to Chicago already?) then you should check out the Forbidden City exhibit. It's really fascinating.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com