Singing Loudly: On Certainty

Singing Loudly

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

On Certainty

Today I was thinking about some of the Greek myths (actually, from Mary Zimmerman's Metamorphoses) and came to the conclusion that I've never really lived well in the moment. This is why I've never really understood the Greek myth with Orpheus and his wife. He is allowed to lead his kidnapped wife out of Hades, on condition that he not turn around to make sure she's following him.

The condition is trust. The human flaw is suspicion. Orpheus believes he's being tricked. He falls prey to his suspicions and sends his wife back to the underworld forever.

That has never made any practical sense to me. I suppose that it's supposed to indicate something essential about human beings, and yet, I would never have turned around. The scenario doesn't even tempt me.

It isn't because I'm too trusting. No, it is because I despise certainty.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com