Singing Loudly: The games we play

Singing Loudly

Monday, June 28, 2004

The games we play

Today I hopped on over to Askmen.com and saw that they had an article to help with Understanding Women's Mind Games.

Mind games, huh? Why do women play mind games Mr. Fitzgerald?

Well, for one thing, they're women. And women think and react with their emotions -- at least more than men do, in general. But it's really about testing us. And tests are ultimately all about control of the relationship. (Emphasis added)


Matthew, it seems like you're really backpedaling there as you start with the archaic claim that women think and react only with their emotions. In the middle of your silly claim did you suddenly realize that women are more complex in making choices than the simplest of animals? I doubt it, because I think it was more that you realized something akin to "hey, if I say this about women then the size of my potential dating pool will dramatically shrink." So, you temper it a little to include "a least more than men." Whatever that might mean at least now there might be a couple less self-respecting women who will overlook your stupid assertion.

Ok Matthew, let's go on to see if we can begin to understand these emotionally-burdened women...I'm going to leave out your explanation of "What's her mind game?" because most I don't really like them. Hey! I'll give you a chance to show why you think women are so caged by their emotions.

Sexy clothes
She wears provocative clothing and then gets mad when you check her out ("my eyes are up here...").

It's one thing if she has been flirting with you all night and then gets mad because you are checking her out or if she has been giving you hints that she doesn't like you all night and you don't get it. If it's the former, I'd rather walk away than get too involved. If it's the later she's just tired of giving you hints because you're too dull to catch on. Either way, this comment usually doesn't bode well.

Shallow initial contact
She'll come on to you, flirt, even act sexually suggestive with absolutely no intention of going on a date or getting involved.

This is a dumb game no question about it. However, it's hard to determine whether she is interested in you and then you do something dumb and she loses interest or if she really is just playing a game. Besides, guys play a similar game where they hit on a girl with no intention of doing anything besides taking her home for a one night stand. I think the innocent flirting is less harmful.

No phone call
She'll give out her number with no intention of dating you. Or she'll take your number and never call you.

This one is just annoying and wrong. I know girls who argue that it's nicer than rejecting a guy outright. That is incorrect. There are plenty of guys who don't care if you don't ever call and for those it probably is better to give a fake number or take his number and never call. But there are also nice guys out there who think that things are going to go somewhere and invest both emotions and time into a relationship that has no chance of going anywhere. Don't give us fake numbers and don't tell us you will call. Just tell us that you aren't interested.

Hard to get
She turns you down for a date or doesn't return your call, even if she's interested in going out with you.

Umm...guys do almost the exact same thing. Games are stupid and this seems to be one of the most annoying and unproductive of the games.

Broken dates
She breaks your date at the last minute or doesn't show up at all without a word of apology.

If too many dates are broken then I'll eventually say something along the lines of, "It seems like either your too busy right now or too uninterested in dating me. If that changes then let me know and maybe we can try it again." Then I move on. Broken dates are frustrating but they happen for various reasons on both sides.

Waiting time
She's late or not ready when you pick her up for a date. Furthermore, this is a recurring issue.

Is this really a game? It seems more like it is a character issue than a game. If you want to combat someone who is constantly late tell them an earlier time than actual plans. If things don't start to improve that way let her know that it really irritates you that she's never ready on time.

Expensive dates
She wants to go to the most expensive restaurant, the most exclusive club, the hottest play -- and expects you to fund the whole thing without a whimper.

I think that it's nice to occasionally go out somewhere special and pay for it. I don't like to do it often. If this became a consistent thing then I would quickly lose interest. Again, I'm not sure if this is a game or just that some people really like to be lavished. Typically I am not attracted to that type of person, I don't hang out at the ritziest clubs, and I don't go to the most expensive restaurants, so I generally don't attract these women.

And the list continues to go on. My overall thought is that games are stupid. Women often complain when guys play dating games, but I do think they are just as guilty as men are of games. If you want to play games find another guy, because I won't engage. Some of these things wouldn't be considered games in my mind but communication issues. None of these things really seem to be based on how "emotional" women are, so I'm not sure why he felt it necessary to include that statement at the beginning.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com