Singing Loudly: Conferencing about Conferences

Singing Loudly

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Conferencing about Conferences

Today I was dragged from my quiet office down to the bottom of the office building to sit in on a conference call with an eccentric immigration attorney. At first I imagined that this sort of thing would be boring. Two lawyers and a law student huddled around a phone trying to interrupt other aggressive personalities at some other end of the phone line.

It was actually great fun! You haven't had an exciting phone conversation until you get two law students, a former immigration judge, a couple defense attorneys, and three or four immigration attorneys all trying to speak at the same time.

apparently this conversation was about setting up a conference to teach criminal defense lawyers the implications of criminal law on immigration status. From the criminal clinic student standpoint I only had this comment: huh?! I think they found that more informative than anything else.

I was a hit. I guess that I'm going to help them arrange this conference. Hours slaving away to culminate in a day long CLE training opportunity for criminal defense attorneys and public defenders. Hmmm, perhaps I was roped into this because I wasn't a hit? Now that I carefully consider this actually seems like punishment.

The real question I should have posed: "is anyone hiring?" was somehow forgotten.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com