Singing Loudly: Rapids approaching

Singing Loudly

Friday, April 16, 2004

Rapids approaching

I've noticed that law school is much like white water rafting. You start the journey where the water is rocky enough to shake the raft around a little. There might be a couple people who fall off and either decide to stay back or try to hop back on. Then you go through long periods of such intense boredom that you really can't help but drink with your friends to pass the time. Then around the corner you see the raging rapids quickly approaching. But, at this point, it's too late to do anything but hold on tight as you see your life pass before you eyes. Then there is the calm again as you just wait for the next rapids to come.

I've noticed some signs that people are beginning to see the rapids ahead...

1. Class attendance on the increase.

All the students who skipped half the semester (guilty as charged in one class) are hoping to make it to the class where everything might be reviewed. This begs the question of whether law school classes ever do review the course. Most of my classes do not, but I have been in one or two where the professor attempts to review everything. Now I know to avoid those days.

2. The library is filling up during the day.

Instead of going home and watching Jerry Springer, Judge Judy, or just getting a head start on happy hour students are spending the couple hours between classes in the library. From what I have seen most of it tends to be socialization, browsing the internet, or falling asleep. Last semester I studied for finals in the library. I learned that what could have taken five hours of studying ended up taking 12 hours at the library. Maybe I'll avoid that trap this semester.

3. Outline frenzy.

Everyone has to find that perfect outline to ace the class. In this past week I've been asked at least 30 times whether I have an outline for class. I'm only in two classes that will have a test. One of those classes is even closed book. Part of why I get asked is because people know that I will freely give up outlines. It doesn't matter to me if it is an outline I've made or an outline that I have found, I will share. I like to level the playing field. Understanding the law in a particular class is more involved than having an outline memorized.
-x-
the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com