Singing Loudly: An artsy sort of update (What I've been reading/watching/hearing)

Singing Loudly

Saturday, August 20, 2005

An artsy sort of update (What I've been reading/watching/hearing)

It's been a few weeks since I've given an update on what has been consuming my artistic desires, so I figure I ought to put a few recommendations out there.

TV:
I've really been enjoying Veronica Mars reruns on UPN I don't think that I could come up with better praise for it than Joss Whedon's praise of the show. It really is a wonderful show. The writing is clever, the character development is really nice, and the actors are actually quite terrific. It is just a really wonderful show.

My other favorite right now is The Amazing Race marathon that is being shown on the Game Show Networks. Right now they are in the middle of the 4th season.





Movies (Netflix rentals):

I've recently watched movies such as 21 Grams, Bottle Rocket and House of Yes from Netflix. I'll soon have one of the best TV shows ever cancelled: Freaks and Geeks. I'm also watching the 1st season of The West Wing.







Music
I'm still enjoying Illinois by Sufjan Stevens and I really like the new Green Day album that came out a while ago. I think they are one of the few bands that has actually gotten better as they became more political.

Books

I'm also reading a little. Since I finished the bar exam, I've read the first three of the Harry Potter books. Actually, I should explain, my sister is 8 years old, so she's really excited about the Harry Potter books. She made me promise that I would read them once I finished law school. I bought the first two and speed through thoses in no time. Then I challenged her to a race to the finish. She's working on number 5 right now, and I've just started on #4. We'll see who can finish number 6 last.

I'm also reading the massive Baroque Cycle.
-x-

5 Comments:

Im plugging my new favorite artsy type/independent film to you, since I like the movies you listed. Check out The Station Agent. I got it from Netflix then turned around and bought it immediately.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 PM, August 20, 2005  

I'm ahead of you! When it was in the theaters, I went to see The Station Agent 3x with different people. The first time was sort of a fluke, but I fell in love with the movie. Then I made a couple other friends watch it.

I'm glad you found it! By the way, did you see the Entourage episode where they talk about it?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:22 PM, August 20, 2005  

I'm so glad you're enjoying VM. I've been trying to get people to watch this summer. Throughout the season, I became steadily more impressed with the show; it's obvious how well Rob Thomas and the writers thought everything out.

And I'll answer Jessica's question, since I quoted Joss in my blog last week. He said that it was "Best. Show. Ever." and wrote, "Crazy crisp dialogue. Incredibly tight plotting. Big emotion, I mean BIG, and charsimatic actors and I was just DYING from the mystery and the relationships and PAIN" and "These guys know what they're doing on a level that intimidates me. It's the Harry Potter of shows."

Speaking of, I started reading the HP books after I graduated from college. Just a warning, when you read so many at once, you might go through a little withdrawal when you're done! And by the way, I checked out that speculation that you suggested, and it was really interesting. He had some thoughts that I did, some that I hadn't thought about, and one idea that I had that I thought I was the only one who thought that way. (I'm sure that just made a whole bunch of sense.)

I loved Freaks and Geeks when it was on, the Green Day album is awesome, and a friend sent me a few songs off of Illinois that I'm enjoying more than I thought I would.

By Blogger Sarah, at 9:00 PM, August 20, 2005  

I havent seen it, nor have ever even seen the show but you arent the first person to mention it to me. Damn you really are ahead of me! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 AM, August 21, 2005  

Yay for the Veronica Mars and The Amazing Race love!

Also, are you reading my mind? Check it out:

http://injusticeanywhere.blogspot.com/2005/04/pop-culture-friday_22.html

http://injusticeanywhere.blogspot.com/2005/07/pop-culture-friday.html

By Blogger 123txpublicdefender123, at 12:32 PM, August 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com