Singing Loudly: Dreaming of the Clinic

Singing Loudly

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Dreaming of the Clinic

Spencer writes that he earned the opportunity to work in a U. Chi. clinic this summer. I have to say that the clinical experience was the best education I recieved in law school, and I think it was the best experience. I learned more about how the law works; what you do as a lawyer writing briefs, motions, and letters; how to talk to other attorneys, judges, and laypersons about the law; and how to apply the formless law you learn in school to real life scenarios.

That's a great little spiel for the clinics to put up on their websites or in their brochures, I'm sure. However, it is true. Clinics are enjoyable in many ways. I think the most important lesson served was that it is the result of my work that makes me satisfied. It isn't making as much money as I can.

I'm not sure if you'll come to the same realization in your clinical experience. Certainly I don't think it's wrong if it's not for you. However, I think that it makes a lot of people realize that they shouldn't feel shameful if they don't want to work in the firm type environment.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com