Singing Loudly: My Summer in Summary

Singing Loudly

Sunday, August 22, 2004

My Summer in Summary

With class assignments already posted for the coming week, I've decided that the Summer is no longer here for me. I wanted to post a few of the main things that I remember about this summer that have influenced me for the better.

The last few weeks of the school year signaled a bad summer. Due in part to laziness in not searching for a job and the only unfair grade I've received, I was worried that this summer would be terrible. As it turned out this summer was up there with the best of my life.

The change started when I received word that I was awarded a generous fellowship to work with a non-profit organization of my choice. I decided that it would be most beneficial to work in the area of immigration law with a human rights organization. This was my first real law job (if we don't count the criminal clinic), so I was able to see that I could manage on my own. In fact, with the moral support of Amber, I was able to put out a well-received memo that will be used as a writing sample. I developed a new program for this organization that will help juveniles without family become citizens of the United States. I was able to make friends who will be friends for life.

Speaking of friends, I was able to watch my best friend get married as I stood as his groomsmen. I was there when they met each other and knew soon after that they would make a great marital couple.

I had other friends who have scattered around the country come and visit. I enjoy being able to show people around the city. To show people I care about the things that I love doing. The things that they hear me talk about. My family came down to visit and I took my grandfather to a couple of movies and a baseball game. Together we all spent time together with great conversation and lots of laughter. It's always fun to see that you've gone from being a child to another adult in the eyes of your family.

I was able to do a bit of my own traveling after my internship ended. I went home to see my family. My sister and I spent quality time together. I went flying with my stepfather and sister to see different parts of Oklahoma. We all enjoyed a BBQ where my cat became the life of the party when I tried to trick my sisters and her friends into believing that I caught a "Snipe." A couple of times I ran with my step-father as he was training for the Pikes Peak Marathon, which he ran this morning.

I was asked to write a play for a little theater company and that led me to visit them after they had started workshopping the rough draft of a new play. I was excited to be commissioned to write a new play, and I think that I've written something decent. They were gracious hosts and I was able to make a new friend who will probably come to visit me before too long.

Tragedy that couldn't be ignored hit home. I returned apprehensive about what was going on. Through that fear I was able to say things that needed to be said. Recently things have been going much better for my family. Actually, things have been great. If anything, this helped to remind me that I need to relax and accept that some things aren't in my control. Of course, my normal mode is very relaxed and calm, which is usually a good way to be.

Like other bloggers, I also meet new friends who have blogs. Erin and Jen are roommates in Buffalo, NY, which is a city I had never visited. Erin is just as clever, friendly, and passionate about life in person as her blog would appear. Jen has a great sense of humor and gives thoughtful and accurate advice. They are both very caring people. It is no surprise that these two became bestfriends as they compliment each other so well and both are very creative, intelligent, and sharp. Thanks to Jen for helping me to find her friends like Erin and Dayna (Dayna being a great commenter and blogger alike).

I've shared emails with other bloggers who are now friends or are budding friends. Claire is amusing, able to vividly depict her life, and friendly on her blog. What comes through in emails is how much empathy she has for what is happening in your life. Her gift with giving advice is right up there with Jen's.

Spencer stormed into the legal blogosphere this summer and hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. Originally I was interested in his blog because he is a writer. It wasn't long before my respect for his writing grew stronger as he described his writing experiences, shared his writing, and discussed his views on writing. It wasn't long before his legal knowledge floored me. On occasion I attempted to match wits with him on areas of the law, but I'm simply unable to keep up. We've shared quite a few emails where he elaborates on his impressions. All I can say is that everyone at Chicago should beware, because Spencer is going to kick ass.

Dylan can make me laugh with his posts on the same day that he infuriates me with his comments on my blog or posts on his (this is a compliment). While we haven't emailed, we've argued in comments enough that I watch what I post to make sure I can back up what I'm arguing. He is sharp enough to take me out if I don't take these precautions. It keeps me on my toes. He often seems to worry, on his blog, that he won't employed in the law. Any firm that would turn him down deserves to lose all their clients for not representing them with all the diligence they are able to provide.

I've sparingly emailed Amber and Will. However, I check for what they have to say numerous times a day. I occasionally disagree with Will, but I listen to what he says because his arguments are extremely persuasive. Amber's blog is insightful and intelligent and varied enough to always be entertaining.

Stephanie is also providing insightful entries that have changed my views. Her stories about work are fun to read because of how well she writes. I'm glad that she was convinced to start blogging, because she really is adding a good voice to the web. Hopefully more and more people will find her. Part of why it's so fun to read her blog and send her emails is that her life is just so interesting.

Then the Summer came to an end with doing a lot of clean up at the clinic when a student unexpectedly quit. I helped to iron all of that out and get things ready for the new group of students to take over. It's difficult to transfer clients from one attorney to another. I've also been able to help defense attorneys with a murder case, which was exhilarating for someone almost on the outside. I can't imagine the emotions for the people involved.

As far as entertainment goes I have enjoyed going to the park, on runs, watching movies, certain things on tv, and reading a few really good books. A few great TV shows were cancelled in the Spring, but then the Olympics came around. Movies like Super Size Me, Hell Boy, the new Harry Potter, Ju-On, De-Lovely, and Garden State were all winners. Meanwhile, I read a book on evolution, Middlesex, The Effect of Living Backwards, various plays and books of poetry, and other books this summer.

A good job experience, happy friends, family coming together, lots of trips to the bar for a beer, a little traveling, a few plane rides, and a few more dates than I expected happened this summer. While it hasn't all been great: all in all this has been a good summer.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com