Singing Loudly: Kissing the Superstition

Singing Loudly

Friday, August 13, 2004

Kissing the Superstition

Sometimes I have a difficult time communicating around certain people.

Last night I went out with the second girl. She was friendly but not really what I expected. I noticed that it was more difficult for me to converse this night compared to the other date the previous night. I did adjust that once I took note of the fact that I wasn't saying much, but it took a more work to be talkative than it should have taken. We had dinner and walked around a little park where I told her some stories. I doubt we'll go out a second time but who knows.

Because we wrapped things up around 8:45 that evening, I called one of my friends and invited him over to my apartment. He reminded me that a college friend was driving into town, so we gave directions to her and invited a couple other people over as well. After a couple hours we headed out to a bar. I knew all of those people really well, so I had absolutely no problem engaging in good conversation. Then we went over to a girl's house where I met her friend. We were all on the patio drinking beer and talking. I noticed that I had no problem adding a lot to the conversation despite not knowing this girl.

I wish that I could figure out why sometimes it's difficult for me to talk to people and other times it isn't. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with shyness. If anything it seems that it's easier for me to talk to someone when I find them really attractive, which is a little strange.

I decided to catalog my year of conversations over the phone and email.

  • From my phone time log it seems that I spoke about 423 hours this past year. This averages out to about 1 hour and 15 minutes a day.

  • As far as emails it looks like I've received an average of 15 emails per day.

  • One of my gmail accounts has over 3mb of pure text. That is around 500 conversations. About 350 of those conversations come from one particular person

  • My Outlook email has messages dating back to 1995 and a total of 9476 messages

  • I rarely delete email messages, but I did delete a lot of my harddrive a few weeks ago, because they came from one particular person who hasn't been in my life for a few years. I realized I didn't need to be a packrat with those. There were close to 60 emails from her

  • On Blogger I've posted 425 posts since May 2003. That averages out to about 6 posts per week. From May until March I really didn't post anything, so that figure is quite deflated. During the school year the posting is less frequent, but I would imagine the true average is 15 posts per week.

  • And I've posted 9192 times at a message board I've belonged to since July 2000


What does this all mean? I'm not sure if it actually means anything, besides it's easy for me to talk over email, phone, telegraph, and even relayed messages. However, in person it is often hit or miss. And damnit, I kissed the Blarney Stone which was supposed to give me the gift of gab.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com