Singing Loudly: Honest Reviews are the Best Reviews

Singing Loudly

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Honest Reviews are the Best Reviews

For a second I started to feel bad about giving Heidi Julavis such a poor review. At times the book was an enjoyable read. The pieces just didn't ever come together to make it a book worth recommending. I wondered if maybe I should have left well enough alone and just said that I finished her book.

Today, however, that changed when I was reminded that honest reviews are good, because it is just one persons explanation. I was reminded of this by one of my favorite contemporary writers, Aleksandar Hemon. In his review of A Movie...and A Book he really tears apart the author starting in the first paragraph:

Daniel Wagner's A Movie ... and a Book is the worst book I have ever voluntarily read. Wagner is a 29-year-old snowboarder from Switzerland and has never written a book before. It seems that he has never read one either. Beginning with the absurd title, every page reveals such rich ineptitude in thinking and writing that its 100 or so pages feel endless.


My first reaction is laughter and my second is wondering if I would agree with his assessment. Hemon's review is comprehensive enough that I think I can pass on reading the book. If he hadn't written it clearly enough I might be crazy enough to go and borrow the book from the library. Thankfully he has done me a service by explaining why this book is not worth the time it would take to read.

My second reaction is wondering what was the worst book he involuntarily read>
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com