Singing Loudly: Afraid of commitment or what we can learn from Scrubs

Singing Loudly

Friday, July 23, 2004

Afraid of commitment or what we can learn from Scrubs

Spencer at Mediocrity's Co-Pilot watched the Scrubs Marathon last night. It seems that he was most inspired by the final episode in the evening. As he says,

It seems J.D., after months (years?) of fixation on Elliot, had finally wooed her away from that Felicity guy who's a marine biologist, only to discover that his feelings for her weren't substantial enough -- that he cared for her, that he found her attractive, but that it didn't combine in that ineffable thing called love. Elliot, it seems, had really been a pawn in a game of self-definition & possession -- &, now that she'd been brought close (admitting, in fact, that she thought J.D. was 'the one' it turns out that J.D. feels suddenly removed, distant.

I had been thinking about posting about my problem with actually committing in the form of a case study. This episode provides some of the simple reasons why I don't commit either early or often in most situations. It is usually little, tiny, insubstantial things that send me running.

I've had, on occasion, the opportunities to meet some of the greatest girls. Then I flee. Is it because I see something in them that I know will keep me from ever loving them? I'm not sure? It frustrates me when I later think about the fact that I never gave a good situation the opportunity to turn into something permanent. Just like J.D. I sense that something isn't there and wind up dancing alone.

Alas, the fight is never ending.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com