Singing Loudly: Music file formats

Singing Loudly

Sunday, June 06, 2004

Music file formats

As a former reviewer of music for an online magazine, I have hundreds of albums in my music collection. Most of those are from three or four years ago, as I don't buy music too frequently. Condensed music files have long had a place in my heart, because I love having any song at my fingertips. It's been a few good years of going through different types of mp3, but I've now decided to change formats.

I jumped on the MP3 thing as soon as I had Ethernet in undergrad. That would have been in late 1998. At that point the size of harddrives was not anywhere near as high as it is today, so I typically ripped at 128 or 160. I kept using the 160 until this fall when I switched to VBR with the target being 128. That captured the highs and the lows a little crisper. Now I've decided that AAC is the format I want to use. I like how songs in 128 AAC sound a little better and it uses less space.

The only problem with changing my format is that I have to rerip all the albums I own and I lose all the statistics on my iTunes. The first problem isn't all that bad, because programs make it extremely easy to load all the data of an album. However, I love the statistics I develop with me songs. Seeing when I last listened to a particular song, how many times I've heard it, and even what I rank it. It makes for fun dynamic playlists and a way to objectively state what my tastes in music happen to be.

Today my statistics will be starting anew as will my file format preference.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com