Singing Loudly: Don't bother showing up

Singing Loudly

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Don't bother showing up

A student from the University of Kent in Canterbury plans to sue his university for negligence after being told he cannot graduate due to plagiarism.

His side of the story is more that they knew he was plagiarising works, which he freely admits he did, but chose to let him continue to make more money off him.

I can see there is evidence I have gone against the rules, but they have taken all my money for three years and pulled me up the day before I finished.


I don't know what to think of this. As I've commented in other blogs, never posted about myself, I think that plagiarism is one of the more disgusting things someone can do. Mr. Gunn is an English major, so he especially ought to know the sanctity and beauty that comes from writing. However, if the school sat idly by and ignored the problem, which is what he's claiming, then it seems strange they would wait to bring it up until no more money was left to be drained. Was there negligence on the part of the university?

This reminds me of what my torts professor did to a student who repeatedly missed class. The night before the exam he called the guy and told him not to show up. If a torts professor is willing to put it off until the last minute, I'm relatively sure there won't be much of a negligence argument. Just like this student in torts, Mr. Gunn knew that the university did not allow plagiarism. He broke that rule. I doubt that the university has any duty to notify the student right after it happens. I even doubt that the university has any duty find the plagiarism as soon as possible. Now if it happened that they found the plagiarism years after Mr. Gunn graduated, it could be a different scenario. They let him know he could not graduate because he had broken university policy.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com