Singing Loudly: Fun with homonyms

Singing Loudly

Friday, May 28, 2004

Fun with homonyms

I received a link to check out the title of an auction at eBay for an entertainment center. It reads,

"Entertainment Unit with naughty pine finish."


Initially I was confused by the sporadic use of capitalization, but I came to enjoy the title the more I read it. Is it really a homonym?

It should be considered a homonym regardless of the fact that they are spelled differently. In most cases, homonyms have the same spelling but different meanings, however, that is not required. They simply need to sound similar. While the two don't sound exactly the same, I believe they are substantially similar. I think they are close enough to fall under the category of homonyms.

The issue is whether knotty means the same thing as naughty. For instance, "I went to this strip club last night and saw an amazing dancer; she was so knotty it was unbelievable." What do you think now?

Public apology: I apologize for the recent incidents of talking about strippers and strip clubs. I place all the blame on Dylan at The Slithery D, and I will cease this moral turpitude post haste.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com