Singing Loudly: Slimy, but good, fish

Singing Loudly

Thursday, April 29, 2004

Slimy, but good, fish

This evening I watch Big Fish for the first time. Watching the movie, I knew that I would have to post something about it. In my head I started to think about posting about the worlds Tim Burton creates or how storytelling has unfortunately become a lost art form. But, I knew that I didn't want to post about that because it's been done better countless times before. Unfortunately, I don't think many people have noticed something else about the movie that needs attention. The dialogue that happened between Ed and Will Bloom.

It was interesting to me to listen to the dialogue between the father and his son. Just as his stories were these beautiful images of an amazing world, the dialogue had something special to it. They connected in an almost supernatural way as you would imagine the perfect father and son connecting. That isn't to say they were happy with each other, or that they had a good relationship. Obviously the opposite is true; regardless, they still had that connection everyone imagines a father and son having in a perfect world. In my mind I imagine that John August, the screenwriter, didn't have to work for that effect at all -- that the script magically came together that way. In reality, I'm sure that he spent countless hours honing it to make it exist but so difficult to notice.
-x-
the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com