Singing Loudly: Reason not to talk to people online

Singing Loudly

Monday, November 22, 2004

Reason not to talk to people online

ONLINE ROMANCE IS DANGEROUS FOR GIRL MASQUERADING AS ADULT

Fri Nov 19, 8:01 PM ET Entertainment - Dear Abby

By Abigail Van Buren

DEAR ABBY: I am deeply in love with a man who is handsome, smart and loving. We are engaged and happy together. The problem? We met on the Internet.

Abby, he thinks I am 26, but I'm not. Everything I've said to him has been a lie. I am really 12. I have tried to tell him the truth, but he doesn't believe me or thinks I'm joking. I try to break up with him, but we both can't say goodbye forever. I am 100 percent sure it's love.

He is planning to visit me in January. He says we will get married and have a nice future together. No one knows about this, so I need your help. What do I do next? How do I let go? -- LOST IN LOVE IN LAS VEGAS

DEAR LOST IN LOVE: You have been lying on the Internet. What makes you think that he hasn't been lying, too? Has it occurred to you that this man who "won't let go" could be a child molester in his 40s or 50s? What do you plan to do when he shows up? If you become further involved, he could be arrested!

For your safety, I urge you to tell your parents what has been going on. You have gotten yourself in over your head, and you may need more adult intervention than this columnist to get you out of the pit you have dug for yourself. Please talk to your parents. TODAY!
-x-

6 Comments:

Oh I read this too. How insane. Please. These letters are what makes the rest of us, who DO use online dating, look pathetic and desperate.

Ugh. 

Posted by Jennifer

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:17 AM, November 22, 2004  

I think it was unfair for Abby to characterize the guy as being a potential lying child molester just because he wanted to meet a girl online. 

Posted by Curtis

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 PM, November 22, 2004  

I also am a 12 year old gir. 

Posted by Dylan

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:07 PM, November 22, 2004  

My crush on you is over. 

Posted by Curtis

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:24 PM, November 22, 2004  

I also agree that it was weird that Abby automatically assumed that he knew that SHE was the one who was lying and that he was a child molester. I was offended. SHE does something wrong, and Abby blames the guy?

I SO prefer the REAL Dear Abby, not her shoddy daughter. 

Posted by Stephanie

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 PM, November 22, 2004  

Who knows if any of the story is true. Personally, if there really is a 12 year old girl posing as a 26 year old woman, the guy must be pretty dim.

-Ontario Emperor, 96 y/o female stripper 

Posted by Ontario Emperor

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:03 PM, November 27, 2004  

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com