Singing Loudly: Not Tuning In

Singing Loudly

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Not Tuning In

I'll admit that I don't watch the conventions. I won't watch the Democratic Convention, nor will I watch the Republican Convention. For a lot of people it is because the conventions are boring. They'd rather watch something entertaining on TV like the Leave It To Beaver marathon on TV-Land; I certainly understand not wanting to betray Wally. Yet for other people they don't watch because they know all the important parts will be shown on the various news media. Hey, I watch Sportscenter, so I certainly understand catching the highlights.

Those reasons are not why I don't watch the conventions. For me it is because I love reading. I might be a dork but I actually find spoilers of the speeches and read them before the conventions! That's right! Just like sound engineers sometimes leak music albums to the general public, some speech writers leak the speeches.

Actually, I was able to read Al Gore's speech before any of you "watched" it last night. Here is an excerpt that I found particularly interesting.

Us Democrats need to rally behind important causes. We need to frame the issues for this election and follow through. What is most important for our party is balancing the budget and fixing the national health care system. Rather than squander the surplus on a risky tax cut for the wealthy, I would put it in what I call a.. "lock-box." In my plan, the "lock-box" would be used only for Social Security and Medicare. It would have two different locks. Now, one of the keys to the "lock-box" would be kept by the President; the other key would be sealed in a small, metal container and placed under the bumper of the Senate Majority Leader's car. But let me add something in my plan. The "lock-box" would also be camouflaged. Now, to all outward appearances, it would be a Leatherbound edition of Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas. But it wouldn't be. It would be the "lock-box". Let me here tonight issue a warning to the enemies, or potential enemies, of the United States: you may think you know the location of the "lock-box". Maybe you do. Or maybe that's a decoy. Or a dummy "lock-box". Only the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, The President and his wife are going to know for sure.

I know you're jealous.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com