Singing Loudly: Another poem

Singing Loudly

Thursday, July 01, 2004

Another poem

This one, most certainly, is not about kissing. I've felt this storm...

The Storm

I called my father long distance last night
to let him know how we're doing --
Andrew feeling better, the baby kicking,
me taking a turn with the flu, feeling like
I'm inside a glass bubble. My father patiently
waited for me to finish what I was saying,
then eagerly told me about the terrible
thunderstorm, asking if I could hear
the rain beating down. Suddenly
neither of us was talking.
I stood with the phone to my ear,
listening to drumming on the skylight
in my father's kitchen, picturing an old man
holding the receiver up to the thunder and darkness.

Richard Jones Copyright 2000
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com