Singing Loudly: Girls Against Boys

Singing Loudly

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Girls Against Boys

I went to a wedding with three girls yesterday and took note of how different we saw things. All of us were happy that the actual wedding lasted no more than 30 minutes. That was absolutely perfect. I see absolutely no reason for the long wedding that drones on and on and takes up a few hours of my day.

When we left the wedding it seemed evoke quite different emotions. The girls were all talking about how weddings made them sad, because it signaled that other people in their group are getting married. Even though they didn't really *want* to be the one getting married it made them sad. Erin showed this too when she recently posted about first dance songs at weddings. I wouldn't have even thought about what the first dance song is going to be. There isn't a chance I would even take notice of the first dance song. One of my best friends got married last summer, and I couldn't begin to remember what the first dance was, and I was on the dance floor by the band watching them dance. Erin seemed to think about it because she was thinking about what she would do when she gets married.

I don't think many guys do this. I know that when these girls were talking about how sad they were, I was thinking about how much I didn't want to get married. My thoughts centered around how boring the wedding was and how silly the entire process is. My guess is that most guys don't think about weddings as something that makes them long for their own wedding.

Just for the record, I did take note of the introduction and first dance songs for this wedding. They were introduced to sign, sealed, delivered. Then their first dance was to Ben Fold - Luckiest.

I don't get many things right the first time,
in fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns the stumbles,
and falls brought me here
And where was I before the day
that I first saw your lovely face,
now I see it every day
And I know

That I am, I am, I am, the luckiest

What if I had been born fifty years before you
in a house on the street
where you lived
Maybe I'd be outside as you passed on your bike. Would I know?
And in a wide sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize

And I know
That I am, I am, I am, the luckiest

I love you more then have
ever found the way to say
to you

Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties and one day
passed away in his sleep,
and his wife, she stayed for a couple of days, and passed away

I'm sorry I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know we belong,

That I know
That I am, I am, I am, the luckiest

Like Erin, I would critique this song choice because who the hell thinks they are lucky when they are signing their individuality over to another person.
-x-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

the archives:

You are currently viewing a post in the archives. You can go back to the main page, the topical index or continue perusing the archives below:

Posts by month:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com